Op zoek naar equipment.

Op zoek naar equipment.

Berichtdoor Pmaier » do 03 maart 2011, 00:03

A few years ago I bought a GlobeCast 75 Elliptical Antenna system to watch BVN and had to change directions when BVN switched to the AMC 4 satellite. It worked well, but lately I am getting signal interruptions. I first thought it was the weather, but now it is continuous, with only a few seconds of good signals. I checked my signal strength which is 98%, while quality is only 72%. Personally I think it is my LNB/feedhorn that is not working properly, which besides a patent number does not have any manufacturer. I checked with Channel Master (the manufacturer of the antenna, but they don’t make the antenna any longer and did not respond on my request where I possible could get a new LNB. I contacted GlobeCast, but they too can not help me as they claimed to have changed their system. My BVN contact in the USA can not help me either, except of selling me a new system
Is there anybody that can help me to find where I can get the right LBN for my antenna?
pmaier@erda.net
Pmaier

Re: Op zoek naar equipment.

Berichtdoor jw » do 03 maart 2011, 09:41

This smells after a bad connection. Before you buy anything new try this; unplug the receiver, disconnect the cable from the receiver and LNB and visually AND mechanically check the state of the connection of the f-connector and the cable. Oxidation? Broken inner core? Flimsy connection with the outer mantle? Or better to just make sure remount the f-connectors and then try again.

The make of your LNB is pretty irrelevant. Any modern universal LNB will do as long as the S/N ratio is 0.3 dB or less. You will find it difficult nowadays to encounter an LNB that does not meet this requirement. In short, any $10 LNB that you can find in any supermarket will do the job.

What IS relevant is the LNB skew. But as you carefully hide where you are no-one can help you with that.

Have fun.
Dit bericht is geschreven als forumlid, tenzij ondertekend als moderator.
Voor leden met ontvangst/schotel installatie vragen/problemen is het handig als zij hun locatie vermelden.
jw

Berichtdoor Pmaier » do 03 maart 2011, 20:50

Thanks for advice. I did check all connections, also put a voltage meter (about 3 V) at the cable connected at the end (connected to LNB and the reading was steady, so I think it may be a lose connection in the LNB or malfunctioning of an electronic part. I have no idea (would try though) if any LNB would work, since the present LNB has a feedhorn mounted in front. By the way I live in Utah (USA) close to Salt Lake City.
Pmaier

Berichtdoor jw » vr 04 maart 2011, 10:04

Maybe a dumb question, but is your trouble only with BVN reception? Or with more channels? And how exactly did you measure that 3 Volt? Receiver switched on? Cable connected to the receiver? And then measuring the voltage between inner core and outer mantle at the LNB side of the cable? If that is the case you should be measuring 12/18 Volt. 3 Volt indicates or a bad cable connection at the receiver end, or that LNB power is set at off in the receiver antenna setup.

By the way, AMC-4 has been replaced by SES-1 in 2010. AMC-4 has been moved to 67'W, and currently has no TV signals. At your location, at 50dBW, a 60 cm dish is sufficient.
Voor leden met ontvangst/schotel installatie vragen/problemen is het handig als zij hun locatie vermelden.
jw

Berichtdoor Pmaier » vr 04 maart 2011, 18:23

Sorry, I did read my meter wrong and the voltage was around 18. I also measured the cable input at the receiver, where I found the same, surprisingly when the unit was either on or off. Rather strange to power the antenna when you do not need it. I do have a picture and sound, often interrupted, from BVN and the other two stations (no idea what language they speak) I receive, but reception there is the same as BVN, also similar frequently interrupted.
When I redirected the dish from TELSTAR to AMC4 I used the directions I received from BVN (TELSTAR @ 97 and AMC4@ 101 degrees) and never had a problem since, until a few eeks ago with the interruptions.
Pmaier

Berichtdoor jw » vr 04 maart 2011, 19:55

Hmmm, this is going to be a bit of a trial and error step-by-step way to find out what's wrong.
I can't find a pict of your dish so don't know how the LNB is mounted - thus don't know if a standard 40mm mount LNB will do. Can you post a pict of your dish?

One thing to try is find someone near to you with a sat installation and ask whether you may try your receiver on their installation - or theirs on your dish. Probably more difficult. But you never know. When we where in Utah we found the people extremely helpful.
jw

Berichtdoor Pmaier » zo 06 maart 2011, 17:47

The LBN/feedhorn is mounted like a large flashlight with the feedhorn in the focus point of the dish. It has a special plate that connect to the end of the arm holding it, which seems to be able to clamp something round. probably for another type of LBN. I am trying to get you an image in this email, but if it fails, sent me your email address and I can sent it as an attachment.
Besides the Globecast system, I also have Dish network, with two dishes. One still from the time Dish Network also carried BVN. Both dishes however have two cable connections to their LBN's, while the Globecast only has one cable. Can I still use and try one of them as you suggested?
Appreciate your help.
[img]http://www.petermaier.net/image/pm1.jpg
[/img]
Pmaier

Berichtdoor schlemiel » wo 09 maart 2011, 04:08

Misschien toch eens een nieuwe LNB proberen dan. Ze zijn tegenwoordig erg goedkoop en mocht het niet werken kan je 'em met een beetje mazzel dezelfde dag weer terugbrengen en je geld terug krijgen.

Succes.

-Stephan
schlemiel

Berichtdoor Przewalski » wo 17 aug 2011, 22:24

All previous responses make sense. Smells like a dying LNB or connection to it.
Of course, in diagnostics it won't hurt to try a different receiver........ The LNB being a fairly stable unit with no components but a small signal amplifier (though that comes with a temperature sensitive oscillator, the so-called DRO, that might go more out of range tan the receiver can handle), except it hangs there 24/7/52 in the weather, but the circuitry inside the satellite receiver driving the LNB is more often at fault. E.g. the 18 volts could be there but the 12120 lnb.loc.freq. source may be hicking up.

When considering LNB replacement, unfortunately today's LNB mechanical/mounting 'standard configuration' of 3 inch or 4 inch diameter did not exist yet when your/our dish and LNB were sold. My LNB still works after 5 years in Missouri weather, but when it poops out I'm sure I'll end up replacing the whole circus.
Good news is that dishes and LNBs don't cost a fortune anymore. For less than $75 you're all up to spiff again. Check eBay for tons of sellers of fta receivers, lnb's and dishes.

On Pmaier's question: no, probably not, yet it might. Directly to an FTA satellite is very different than rebroadcast/distribution through a Dish Network sat. The fact that BVN was in their menu does not make any difference to the possibility of this leftover hardware to get BVN directly from AMC4/SES1. On the one hand the capitalists do a lot of proprietary protocolling to keep freeloaders away, on the other hand though the basic hardware up to the receiver does not vary that much. Hooking up your LNB/dish combo to an FTA receiver may therefore have some unexpected positive results. Do I make sense to you?
Your old LNB/dish combo has two cables either because inside its housing there are actually two 'crosseyed' ('scheelkijkers' we say in Dutch) LNBs, or it could be a combo linear/circular LNB, in which case you could experiment with the one that is linear to see signal from AMC4/SES1. It might actually work. Might. Just ignore the other coax. However, the dish might be too small to get sufficient signal.
Przewalski

Keer terug naar Amerika